06 May 2015

Rise Above Bakery - making things just a bit sweeter

Almost a year ago I interviewed to become a volunteer cooking assistant at L'Academie de Cuisine. I consider one of perks of serving in this capacity is the people I encounter (chefs, students, and fellow assistants) and their perspective about food and beverage.  I recently had the pleasure of
working with Ms. Cheryl Brown, owner of Rise Above Bakery.  She brought slices of a delicious cheesecake for the chefs, fellow assistants, and staff to try. I asked  Cheryl if she would share her story with us.

Brown Sugar Rum Bundt Cake
fruit tart filled with orange pastry cream
Q1:  Tell me a little about yourself. How did you get started?
A1: I have been career administrative professional for nearly 30 years in multiple industries in corporate and nonprofit organizations. I frequently volunteer as a culinary assistant at a culinary academy, working to transition into my gifting and passion of baking, as a second career.  I started baking with my grandmother during the holidays in Washington, DC when I was a child.


Q2: Who or what has been the greatest influence on your career?
A2:  My greatest influences came from my grandmother and my great aunt in New York when I was a child.  They would have all the fsresh ingredients at room temperature waiting for me when I arrived to make coconut custard pies.  I can still taste all that custard goodness. One of the other major influences was Julia Child; I watched her on PBS every chance I got.  I was also inspired by Jacques Pépin & Jacques Torres, the chocolate master.

Coconut Lemon Layer Cake with Lemoncello Pastry Cream
German Chocolate Cake
Q3: What advice do you have for someone who wants to go into your field of work?
A3: Since a limited number of culinary careers have large salaries, my advice would be to make sure this is your passion and what you really want to do.  Ensure you are doing it for the love of baking and giving people joy.  If money is your motivation, this may not be the career for you.


Q4: What would you like the public to know about your field of work?
A4:  It’s technical, precise, creative and relaxing. It brings me great joy knowing I’ve created a dessert for someone’s special life event that triggers happy memories they will always remember.


Q5: Where do you see yourself five (5) years from now?
A5: Five years from now, I see myself transitioned full-time into baking and having a bakery called Rise Above Bakery in my community, making things just a bit sweeter.


Rise Above Bakery's current Menu list:




Thank you for time Ms. Brown. I wish you success in your endeavors!

Want to know more about Rise Above Bakery? Ms Brown can be reached at 240-506-0044. Also visit Rise Above Bakery's Facebook page,  The menu, and cake images were provided by Ms. Brown and Rise Above Bakery.


Be well,
Technicolor girl
image created by Ink+ LLC

No comments:

Post a Comment