24 March 2014

Le Diplomate - a 2014 James Beard Semifinalst

Reservations at Le Diplomate are  hard to get. When I was able to secure a reservation for 9:15pm I accepted it.  Then the National Weather Service forecasted  a winter storm would pass through the area,  I called to  the restaurant to see if there was any earlier availability. I  spoke to Jess who suggested arriving  between 6pm and 6:30pm to get seat in terrace section.  I arrived just before 6:30pm and walked into a what appeared be a disorganized waiting area. The hostess advised me that the wait was approximately 20 minutes and that she would take my phone number to call me when the table was ready and that I was free to look for a seat at the bar to eat dinner. I provided my phone number and then slid through the crowd of hungry diners to see if there was an empty seat at the bar. I secured a seat between two diners.  When I returned to the hostess station and reported that I had secured a seat there the response was a bit  short, but I dismissed it as annoyance from  trying to manage the crowd of would be diners.

I sat down and waited for a menu, cancelled my 9:15pm reservation, and took in the scene around me. LeDiplomate has a well stocked bar. The servers on the dining floor move about a brisk pace. The diner on my left was enjoying a sandwich and had acknowledged my presence when I  inquired about the empty seat and again when I actually sat in the seat. The diner on my right was fully engrossed in  writing a message on PDA.   A bartender arrived; I ordered Kronenbourg beer (it was on tap, something I don't see often).  When the bartender returned he asked if I would staying for dinner- I replied was and would be eating at the bar. I asked for suggestions and them selected my meal choices.

Appetizer: steak tartare. Dijon mustard, capers herbs in steak. Topped with quail egg. Served with sliced bread and greens.  It was my first time trying steak tartare. I'm glad I tried it, but it was okay. I asked a passing sever to box the remaining steak tartare to go.





At this point  I suspected  that the diner on my right may be intoxicated. Food falls from the diner's fork a little too close to my shoes. I move my feet quickly. The diner stares at the floor and then glances at me, but does not say award. A bartender appears with a second plate of food for the diner and begins to chat with her.

Entree: scallops with red wine salsify, truffle sabayon.  Lots of color. Good, but not amazing.  I ordered brussel sprouts to accompany the scallop dish  because I'm aware that I need to eat a substantial green vegetable. The brussel sprouts are cooked with onions, seemingly with no other ingredients. The dish tastes a bit greasy .




My water and beer have run low. Bartnder #2 has returned to to chat with the diner on the right and offers her another drink, The bar keep standing in front of me looks at my glasses but doesn't say anything. After a few minutes of chatting the bartender glanced and asking if I need anything. I asked him to box the remaining food to go. He looked at the plate and then at me before walking away.

The glasses have not been refilled and offer to refill them to has not been proffered. Bartender #3 appeared and asked if I needed to anything. I asked for the dessert menu.

Dessert: dark chocolate Napoleon, almond dacquoise, bitter chocolate ice cream and caramel jam. Probably best part of the meal.

The bartender who first my order has stopped by to see that I'm having dessert and  notices the to go bag adjacent to me. After eating the lovely bitter chocolate ice cream bartender #2 asked how my dessert was. I told him it was good and asked to have the rest boxed to go.



dark chocolate Napoleeon

 
I didn't check  the bathroom at Le Diplomate.

The inconsistent and uneven service experience surprised me. In the future my money time will be better spent at another restaurant in the Logan Circle area: Birch and Barley, Eatonville, ThaiTantic or Kapnos.  If  I want to retain the French theme I will consider Bistrot du Coin in Dupont Circle.

Le Diplomate is located in the Logan Circle area of DC. The closest metro is U Street/Cardozo. Metered parking and zoned parking can be hard to secure in this area, so allow plenty of time to find a parking space.



No comments:

Post a Comment