04 April 2014

Cuba de Ayer - visit to Cuba via Montgomery County

After attending the funeral of a colleague, I decided to grab a quick bite to eat before tackling the list of tasks on my 'to do' list. I checked my phone app version of Open Table to see which nearby restaurants were open for lunch. Cuba de Ayer appeared in the search results. I frowned; I tried to visit Cuba de Ayer about nine months ago and when I arrived discovered that the restaurant was closed. Not just closed for lunch, but looked as if it had been vacated I was disappointed and found another nearby venue to eat lunch. I made the reservation and hoped I would be proven wrong.

As I reached the small strip where Cuba de Ayer is located, Latin music could be heard outside the restaurant. I suspected that there was a well hidden speaker delivering the wonderful music to prospective diners. I walked through the door and was greeted warmly by the hostess. The dining room was  pretty full with customers eating and chatting. I asked the hostess which items she liked on the menu and what she suggested ordering. She liked everything, but suggested I try the ropa vieja (the restaurant's signature dish) or the bistec palomilla. She also recommended the camarones en aguacate (shrimp in avocado).

Jessy was my server and provided pointers and suggestions about what to order. I asked Jessy the same questions about what he liked and what he recommended. Jessy walked through the menu and made suggestions. In addition to the ropa vieja , Jessy pointed out the empandas for appetizer. He recommended  pernil (pork dish), pollo salteado (chicken) , bistec salteado (beef), and prago frito (fried red snapper) for entrees. Just as he was about to finish he suggested I also look at the daily specials and recommended the tostones relleonos com camaron. I asked if the the dish was like mofongo (a Puerto Rican dish)  and was told it was .I tried :
Mango mojito
Tostones rellenos con camaron
Pollo salteado  moros y cristianio s, 1/2 plantain maduro,1/2 tostones.

The mango mojito was refreshing, full of muddled mint leaves and just a splash of lime.

The tostones rellenos con camaron appetizer included three of the tostones filled with well seasoned pieces of shrimp with a garlicky, lemon and butter sauce. I tried one of the tostones and asked that the remainder be packaged to go as I still had the pollo salteado to try. I like the idea of the dish.



tostones rellenos con camaron

While waiting for the pollo salteado to arrive Jessy asked me where I was from. He was surprised I mentioned mofongo and that I had ordered something other than ropa vieja. It seems that many diners ask for suggestions, but stick with the the ropa vieja. Personally I think he was also surprised that I asked for tostones with with my lunch and that I knew the difference.  So, what is the difference? Plantain maduro is the mature plantain it is often served fried with a dusting of powdered sugar, but  may also be served as chips.  Tostones are immature plantain that may be prepared and served  as chips (think of them as also an alternative tortilla chips)  or stuffed with savory ingredients, or sliced and fried an a accompaniment to dishes.



pollo salteado, plantain mudros, moros y Cristianos
 
The water closet was clean and in good working order.

I asked to settle my bill. Jessy remembered that I had arrived at Cuba de Ayer after attending a funeral; he offered a dessert of my choice to brighten my day. The recently departed was very health conscious and probably wouldn't have accepted the offer. I asked Jessy what he suggested that I could take with me. He suggested the tres leches cake. It was a sweet and thoughtful  gesture.

Cuba de Ayer is located in a small strip small in Burtonsville, MD (Open Table lists the restaurant as being located in nearby Fulton).  Driving is recommended as there is no metro stop nearby and bus service in this area is infrequent.


1 comment:

  1. I seem to be learning something from everyone of your posts. Pls keep them coming.

    ReplyDelete