23 May 2014

RESPECT - just an observation

A recent dining experience reminded me how critical respect and manners are in a dining experience.

I was departing a restaurant and had to pass by the host's desk to leave. A man and his party were blocking the path. I heard the man as I approached the area:

Man: I need a table for three
Host: Sir, there's an hour wait. Shall I add your name to the list?
Man: An hour wait?
Host: Yes, an hour wait
Man:  I need a table now and I see you have empty tables (pointing into the dining room)

I was now  near the host station and said 'excuse me' me to the man in hopes that he would move forward so I could exit the restaurant. He didn't budge. Nor did his party.  I am not a petite woman and do know how to push my way through crowds if need be. I didn't think this was the time to barrel through this group.

Host: the tables are for people who have reservations

I said 'excuse me' again.  The second host now appeared by my side to ask how my dinner was. I replied that I enjoyed myself. The man did not budge, but a member of the party moved enough for me to slide through. As I reached the door a party of three was about to enter. One of the men held the door open for me to pass. The party of three couldn't enter because the man and his party were still questioning the host.

As I walked from the restaurant I wondered if that scene could've played out differently. The scenario reminded me that if we expect respect its important to act with respect. I've experienced the frustration of showing up at a restaurant only to discover there's a long wait for a table. To minimize the frustration I make reservations in advance when I can, call ahead to get my name on the list, if I can, or have a backup dining option. Mind you, I'm not saying kowtow to the host/hostess, but hassling the host/hostess is never a good idea as this person often determines where you will be seated unless you have requested a private dining area or a part of a large party.

I applaud the host for remaining calm while the man's frustration began to escalate; I hope the man and his party found some place to eat.

Here's to the next pleasant dining experience!

Be well,

Technicolor girl




No comments:

Post a Comment