05 August 2014

Kapnos

Kapnos' grilled meat
My visit to Kapnos took place because another event scheduled to take place at Kapnos was cancelled.  Mr. Linwood Jones of Kapnos called to tell me the event was cancelled and encouraged me to come have dinner at the restaurant instead.  I debated whether I should wait until the event was rescheduled and voiced my thoughts to a friend. Her reply? "Go now. If you like the place enough then return when the event is rescheduled." I called back and made arrangements to visit.

I arrived early in the evening and was pleasantly surprised to see a group of senior citizens dining and engaged in lively conversation. After giving my name to young lady at the reception desk I glanced around the room. Kapnos was larger inside than I envisioned as I walked up to the entrance. The furniture in the room maximized the restaurant's space. My reverie ended when the young called my name and asked me to follow her. I was seated in front of the prep area at Kapnos's chefs table. I glanced over at the chef and quickly looked away. The chef (Executive Chef Geroge Pagonis) appeared to be a cross between the Colossus at Rhodes and Eric Bana. He was not smiling and looking intensely at the food in front of him . I glanced over at the chef once again  and quickly looked away. If he saw me he didn't say anything.

Colossus at Rhodes courtesy of the internet

I studied the menu and debated where I should ask if I could move to a table when a server approached me and asked if I had any questions.  Instead of asking to be moved to another table I asked if I could be move two seats down from my current position. The woman smiled and encouraged me to move my seat.  I opted for the four course dinner.

course 1
taramosalata  carp roe, caviar, cauliflower
tyrokafteri  feta, smoked manori, grains of paradise  
melitzanosalata  smoky eggplant, roasted peppers, walnuts, feta
all spreads come with flatbread
prosecco “on tap,” montelvini, Italy, nv
All three spreads were tasty, but melitzanosalata was a standout. The smoky eggplant was heavenly.
course 2
bronzino  cucumber, lemon, dill, crackling
rokka salata  manouri, butternut, walnuts
pinot noir, lucien albrecht, brut rose, cremant d’alsace, mv

The bronzino (a fish)  was light, freshing.  The cooked scales  were an interesting garnish. The salad was confusing combination of flavors. They cancelled each other out. The pomegranate seed was a very nice touch if color but was subsumed by the vinaigrette. Were the seeds fresh? I'd pass on it in the a la carte menu. The pinot noir cremant was light, some effervescence - good choice.












course 3
charred octopus  green harissa, eggplant
fava  yellow lentils, squash, spinach, pearl onions 
assyrtico/athiri, sigalas, santorini, 2012
The charred octupus was fantastic! The octopus had crisp exterior, tender interior. Made want to say, octopus: the other white meat.. The interplay of sweet octopus,green harissa abit of serrano pepper to added a bit of heat The Yellow lentils with pearl onions, spinach, carrots red pepper  dish was  equally good and something I intend to try to make at home.   The Greek white wine blend was just right- for this flavorful course.



course 4 
spiced baby goat
boniusfourno patates  lemon, feta, pastirma, scallion
gamay, domaine du pavilion de Chavannes, cote de brouilly, beaujolais  Domaine Sigalis

Just when I thought my tastebuds could not be happier, the spiced baby goat was presented .Colorful, savory and tender I forgot to take a photo of the accompanying potatoes I was so taken with this dish.

course 5
karithopita walnuts, pistachios, tangerines, metaxa syrup 
dessert wine
The dessert was dense walnut laden cake with with a sorbet and toasted coconut recommended by the young lady serving me. She also suggested a d'Asti that had subtle orange blossom nose.
I noticed that Exective Chef George Pagonis is super intense a serious about plating and presentation. He helped the entire team at various times in the evening. As the rush period ended  Chef asked how I liked the food and hoped I didn't mind him cussing. I replied, 'sometimes it's the only way to get the point across.' He grinned. I wished I could say it's my saying, and I shuddered when I realized I sounded like my mother.

I also observed a teachable moment while dining at Kapnos: pals of a kitchen staff member wanted to sit at the chef's bar. Chef George  wasn't too pleased about the idea and then called the  staff person over and spoke to him advising him, "I don't care how busy you are, the quality of the food doesn't change".

 Kapnos' bathroom was clean and tidy. There is also a wheelchair ramp leading to the bathroom.

Kapnos is child-friendly although I would recommend bringing the little ones earlier in the evening as the evening continues the restaurant definitely caters to a more adult crowd.

Kapnos is within walking distance from the  U Street/ Cardozo matro stop. Metered street parking is available as well.  At the time of this visit reservations for Kapnos were made via City Eats. Kapnos has since begun using OpenTable.

Thanks to the Kapnos for an enjoyable and for Mr. Linwood Jones for encouraging me to visit. I look forward to my next visit.


Be well,

Technicolor girl




No comments:

Post a Comment