14 October 2014

A reformed cooking class junkie AND your chance to vote

I sat at the table and leafed through the stack of cooking class recipe packets. I was applying what I learned in class at home and using recipes in meals as well as suggesting recipes to friends. It was also apparent that I was spending a lot of money. I was exceeding my budget for cooking classes and I was about to reduce my budget once I moved into my place.  What was I going to do? I recalled an instructor at L'Academie de Cuisine had mentioned that the people wearing  the red aprons in class were volunteer assistants. Volunteer assistants earn credits for each class they assist. Those credits can be applied toward the cost of a class on a 1:1 basis, for half off the class. Perhaps this was the answer to my cooking class addiction.

in uniform and ready to work

I completed an application. I went for an interview. My application was accepted. Volunteer assistants attend orientation and then undergo three  class sessions of training before they are eligible to earn credits.

The volunteer assistant's uniform at L'Academie de Cuisine is black pants, white shirt, and sturdy, non-kid shoes(preferably).  I had a shirt on hand. The pants and shoes required a little more research. Bebe was helpful in pointing me to local vendors who might have the shoes and pants. After two weeks, I finally found the non-skid shoes that fit my feet and budget best.

Volunteer assistants receive a list of upcoming classes and select the classes they would like to assist. I choose classes based on subject,  day offered ( I have a day  job so assisting in weekday daytime classes is not possible)  and sometimes location (L'Academie offers recreational classes at its Bethesda and Gaithersburg, MD locations).
cleaning and sanitizing the classroom kitchen is a must

The glimpse of behaviors I noted as a student blossom as an assistant and it is crucial to exercise diplomacy and patience as well as follow the chef/instructor's lead . Some instructors inform the students at the start of class to be nice to the assistants because they are volunteers. Some instructors ask students to pose any questions to the instructor only. All instructors rely on assistants for food prep, classroom clean up before, during and after class as well as serving adult beverages to students legally allowed to drink.

I am grateful for the sturdy, non-skid shoes I purchased. Volunteer assistants are on their feet 99% of the time as we set up the class, support students during class (e.g. removing and replacing cutting boards, cooking implements as well as helping with drying as dishes and returning them to
their proper storage location) and clean up after the class concludes.


 
arugula, lobster and quail egg
What about the food? The assistants generally get to sample what the chef/instructor cooked. The dish is also shared with any staff that is working.


salad greens with duck and raspberries








photo by TEP
What's next? In a few months I hope to attend a cooking class titled Culinary Techniques 101 at L'Academie de Cuisine. The class requires wearing a chef's jacket with a name or nickname  embroidered above the school's name. I'm inviting you to visit the Technicolor dining blog page and participate in a poll to select  which name should be embroidered on the jacket. Don't delay, the poll and opportunity to vote will be available for a limited period of time.

Be well,

Technicolor girl

No comments:

Post a Comment