11 October 2014

SNAP Challenge Day 6 - Creativity

On Day 5 I ran out the door to work without eating breakfast. Was I tired of eating my oatmeal and raisins? Or was I subconsciously trying to stretch my food until the end of the week? I'm not certain. The day began with a meeting that ran much longer than planned, but somehow managed to have lunch at 1pm - the earliest I've eaten lunch all week. Instead of hummus for an afternoon snack, I had a banana. Before work concluded a few emails shifted what would be a quiet long weekend  into a semi-working weekend. Spinach is one of my favorite vegetables, but I didn't want spinach salad for dinner. I discovered the second package of turkey I purchased had not been opened yet; I cubed some of the turkey meat and sautéed it and the spinach with olive oil and a few spices.

Day 5 dinner


sautéing the spinach for dinner
Lessons Learned
  • I am trying to strike a balance between being worried about the amount of food on hand and nourishing myself so I can function throughout the day.
  • Preparing the spinach differently was a good idea. 
  • I'm glad I remembered the bananas. I was going to only consume 1/2 a banana. Eating a whole banana was a treat!
  • The soup will be gone on Day6 after lunch. I checked after dinner - I have plenty of oatmeal on hand. I may use it as a replacement for the soup on Day 7.


Questions posed to me on Day 5 and my answers:
  • Q: Have you done any cooking during the SNAP Challenge?
  • boiling brown rice for dinner
  • A: Not really because I prepared my meal at the start of the week. I primarily reheat the entrée, boil rice and prepare salad and/or veggies.

  • Q: Are you getting enough to eat? 
  • A: Actually, I am, but I think it is because of the food I chose to prepare and the portions I am consuming.

  • Q: How is your energy level?
  • A: My energy is pretty good during the day. At the end of the day I am tired, but I don't think it is a result of the food that I'm eating this week. It's more due to my schedule and the tasks on my to do list.

Day 6 will be a full day including running errands, attending a training class and volunteering in another cooking class. I will also need to apply a bit more creativity to my meals moving forward. Day 6 will be the end of my tasty hummus and raisin packages. I'll have to sort out what will  be snacks on Day 7.  Perhaps grapefruit sections?


Be well,

Technicolor girl
image created by InkPlus LLC








No comments:

Post a Comment