09 September 2015

Life After CT101


Is there life after completing Culinary Techniques 101? Yes, absolutely! M  asked me recently if I will become a professional chef now. That's very unlikely unless I enroll for additional training.

Instead, I apply what I learned in a number of  ways. I  continue to serve as a volunteer assistant in L'Academie de Cuisine Recreational classes. The assistants are the individuals wearing red aprons in class.

I've completed volunteer training at the Capital Area Food Bank to assist in their Cooking Matters® program. Cooking Matters® is a part of the No Kid Hungry campaign to end childhood hunger in  America. Capital Area Food Bank  has partnered  Share Our Strength to offer  in the Washington metro area. To learn more about the program visit the Capital Food Bank website.

I also assist at Open Kitchen, which offers cooking classes, hosts private events, and caters events. Great team of people.

The biggest surprise was being asked to be in assistant for the current Culinary Techniques class. I now get to see the class completely from the perspective of an assistant. I learn from my fellow assistants as well as from Angie and Chef Brian.

In meantime, my home cooking has become a bit more adventurous and creative. Some adventures have been successful (I've made my own ceasar salad dressing a couple of times,made my own sausage and recently made a marinade for golden melon kabobs) and some will need more work (the pot of quinoa that never fluffed).

All in all I'm enjoying the journey -there's always more to explore and learn! If you see me at any of these venues, please say hello.

Be well,

Technicolor girl

image created by Ink+ LLC

No comments:

Post a Comment