30 November 2015

The Culinary Vegetable Institute

entrance to The Culinary Vegetable Institute
My cousin Antoine's wife knows of my fondness for vegetables. Over a year ago she sent me a note suggesting I check out The Culinary Vegetable Institute  (CVI) in Milan, Ohio. After two unsuccessful attempts to get to Milan (pronounced "My-lan") due to work commitments, the dining gods prevailed. I was fortunate to visit the evening James Beard  Foundation Work Grant winner Chef Matt Ryder was cooking.


The day before the dinner Marcie, The CVI's Executive Director called to confirm that I would in attendance for dinner.  We chatted excitedly about the reality that the visit was actually going to take place.  Marcie mentioned  the possibility of inclement weather, but it should be nothing to worry about.

menu for Chef Matt's dinner
As I set out the downpour began.  Despite the clear driving  instructions on The CVI's  website, I missed the entrance to The CVI.  When I entered the doors of the The CVI I was welcomed by Marcie.  After I got settled, Marcie took me a tour of the the facility.

 Milan is a 45 minute drive from Cleveland via the Ohio turnpike. The CVI  sits on approximately 100 acres, including  a 1,500 square foot state-of-the-art two story kitchen, a 1,426 square foot dining room with 22 foot ceilings; an Executive Chef Suite, a Culinary Library; Root Cellar and Wine Cellar; and experimental vegetable, forest and herb gardens.

The CVI also has a Chef for a Day program.  The participants in the program work alongside chefs to prep and prepare the dinner.

The only space I did not see was the Executive Chef Suite because a guest was staying in the suite. I was encouraged to walk around, take photos and as the staff questions.

CVI  kitchen

CVI  dining room

Mural in Culinary Library


Again, the dining gods prevailed.  My table mates were two wonderful couples as well as the mother and sister of Chef Ryder. I've said this before, but people in the Midwest are incredibly welcoming. The table laughed together, shared perspectives  about the dishes and the wine pairings. Bonus: one of the men at my table was celebrating his birthday.

Chef Matt Ryder

First Course: Charcuterie and Cheese
Second Course: Pumpkin Patch
Chef Ryder shared his concept of the menu with the group. The menu was a reflection of the influences on his cooking  including his time in North Carolina and growing up in New Mexico.
Third Course: Drunken Shrimp Cocktail
Fourth Course: Posole and Pork Tamales


Fifth Course: Souther Smoked Porl


Palate Cleanser: shot of Horchata

Dessert:  Country Biscuit, Sopapilla, Spiced Blackberry Sauce,  CVI honey
CVI Executive Director Marcie and
 CVI staff listen to diners comments

After dessert Chef Ryder fielded questions from the diners. Chef Ryder's  mother understandably beamed with pride - the meal was delicious!  Each course was flavorful, filling, and artfully presented. The pumpkin patch was the most creative dish, in my opinion.

The CVI's  Resident Chef, Chef Jamie Simpson also shared  with the room that this meal marked the conclusion of  Chef Ryder's internship and that he had several job offers to consider.

The Chef for  Day also shared her thoughts about the dinner - she helped prep the tamales as well as the deconstructed collard greens. She commented that she had been on her feet all day, but it was worth it.

After dinner Marcie asked me if I enjoyed myself. I did and told Marcie I hope to visit again. We both looked out the window - the rain had changed to snow. Perhaps a return visit when the weather is warmer.  Yes, we talked about returning to participate in the Chef for a Day Program in 2016.

Many thanks to The CVI team for a fun evening.

Want to know more about The CVI?
Peruse the website
Visit their Facebook page
Follow the on Twitter @CulinaryVegInst

Want to hear more about Chef Ryder's internship? See the You Tube video, here .


Be well,

Technicolor girl

No comments:

Post a Comment