31 December 2015

When life gives you lemons - lemon pie

I readily admit I like lemons. I use them for cooking and cleaning. So it didn't surprise me that I moved a bag of Meyer lemons without hesitation  into my shopping cart during a recent grocery store visit. Did  I mention that this was in addition to the bag of  generic lemons already in my cart?

Meyer lemon fruit is yellow and rounder than a true lemon. The skin is fragrant and thin, colored a deep yellow with a slight orange tint when ripe. Meyer lemon fruits have a sweeter, less acidic flavor than the more common Lisbon or Eureka supermarket lemon varieties. The pulp is a dark yellow and contains up to 10 seeds per fruit. The lemon bears surname of  Frank Nicholas Meyer, an employee of the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) who collected a sample of the plant on a trip to China in the early 20th century.
After some deliberating about what to do with the lemons I opted for lemon pie.  This Meyer lemon pie recipe is featured on Allrecipes.com. I modified it slightly based on feedback from others who have tried the recipe. 

Ingredients:
1 1/4 cups white sugar 
3 large eggs 
3 3/4 fluid ounces Meyer lemon juice 
1/4 cup butter, melted 
1 1/2 tsp cornstarch (my modification)
1 (9 inch) pastry shell, unbaked
Lemon zest (my modification)

Step 1:Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
Step 2: Place sugar,  cornstarch ,eggs, and lemon juice in a  food processor; blend until smooth, about 3 minutes.
Step 3: Pour melted butter into the food processor and blend for 30 seconds more.
Step 4:Transfer lemon filling to the pastry shell.
Step 5: Sprinkle lemon zest on top of filling
Step 6:Bake in the preheated oven until filling is just set, 30 to 35 minutes. Allow pie to rest until completely set before serving, about 15 minutes more.

I added the cornstarch because a common comment was that the filling was "runny" after cooking. I added the lemon zest for a bit of color. 

Serving suggestions: whipped cream, vanilla ice cream or as is. 

What's your favorite Meyer lemon recipe? Please share below. 

Be well,
Technicolor girl

No comments:

Post a Comment