16 May 2014

Chef spotlight - Featured Chef: Shanita McAfee

Today's interview is with Chef Shanita McAfee, Chef and owner of Magnolia's in Kansas City, Missouri.

Q1: Tell me a little about yourself. How did you get started?

A1: I have been cooking for the past 15 years in Kansas City, I got my start second semester of my senior year in High School.


Q2: What's your philosophy concerning cooking?

A2: This quote by Voltaire sums me up ... " Nothing would be more tiresome than eating and drinking if God hadn’t made them a necessity and a pleasure."


Q3: Who or what has been the greatest influence on your career as a chef?

A3: I come from a family of cooks .. the fusion of everything my family through me, what I have learned in school and what Chef Erika has taught and continues to teach sums my style up.


Q4: What made you decide to attend the Minority Chef Summit?

A4: I just had a new baby so I will not be in attendance this year, but I have done all that I can to help in the behind the scenes, As chefs we have to invest in ourselves, in our personal enrichment. This summit is an opportunity for us to gather and learn from our peers.


Q5: What do you think can or should be done to increase the presence of minority chefs in the restaurant/dining industry?

A5: I am not sure what can be done, I do feel that a minorities we have to support each other first,


Q6: What advice do you have for someone who wants to become a chef?

A6: It’s not as glamorous as it looks on the TV ... you have to have a deep in your soul passion for food otherwise it is so hard to get through the long, long nights.


Q7: What would you like the public to know about the life of a chef?

A7: It’s a BEAST but it’s the best life !! I honestly couldn’t see my self doing anything else.


Q8: Where do you see yourself five (5) years from now?

A8: Well my daughter will five then so hopefully I will be able to do a little more traveling, have my cookbook finished and go on a cooking tour


Thank you Chef McAfee for your time. I promise when I'm in Kansas City I'll stop by Magnolia's. Reservations are available via OpenTable

Want to know more about Magnolia's and Chef McAfee?  Visit the website, 'Like' them on Facebook, and follow on Twitter: @Magnoliaskc .


Be well,

Technicolor girl

No comments:

Post a Comment