25 December 2014

Season's Eatings!

Merry Christmas to all of you who celebrate Christmas! I salute all the home cooks and chefs who have spent countless hours determining what to prepare, shopping for the items, and preparing the meal(s).  Growing up, my family had breakfast , then opened presents, followed by completing tasks to ensure dinner would be ready by mid-afternoon. The dinner preparations actually started a day or two before. Each year a member of the family was designated to retrieve all the gifts from under the tree and distribute them to the recipients
 This year I'm celebrating Christmas in my new space. I asked Santa for one thing - an omelet pan to .replace the pan that I've used as an omelet pan and ruined as a result. I'm hopeful that Santa will deliver. On my menu today:

Butternut squash soup
Cranberry, orange and walnut relish
Green beans with dried cranberries and almonds
Savory stuffing with roasted chestnuts
Turkey breast tenderloin
Flourless chocolate cake
 
 
 
It's my first time trying the recipes for the soup, green beans and flourless cake. If the dishes taste good I'll be certain share details about the recipes.
 
So, if you don't celebrate Christmas, is there a way to enjoy the holiday season? Absolutely!   One suggestion: visit a city or town you've always wanted to visit and go - just  research to make sure there are dining venues open. Hotels frequently have specials because room occupancy is low. I decided to visit New York City for Christmas. Unlike New Year's Eve in New York City, Christmas Day is quiet, peaceful and at times feels quaint.  During my whirlwind visit I  had a delicious three course lunch at an East Indian Restaurant , dinner at Zoë Restaurant on the Lower East side,  and saw Chris Botti perform at the Blue Note Jazz Supper Club. I met international visitors and locals alike. The highlight of the trip was when Chef Zoe Feigenbaum came out and said hello. You see, when the restaurant called to confirm my reservation I asked the chef would be present. The voice on the phone responded, "Yes, I will be there".  After a momentary squeal of delight I explained that I had watched her on the Food Network's television program Chopped, and had been rooting for her. She seemed genuinely appreciative of the support.  I checked this year- it appears the  Zoë Restaurant space is for sale. I wish Chef  Feigenbaum success in her endeavors wherever she goes.

 
Mimi and her fiancé have suggested I explore Atlantic City at Christmas. They visit every year and speak highly about  the variety of things to do.  I'll look into it.

What traditions do you have for the holiday season? Is there a city you enjoy visiting during the holiday season? Share your comments below.

Season's Eatings!


Be well,
Technicolor girl
image created by Ink+ LLC

No comments:

Post a Comment