28 December 2015

Holiday meal planning 2015

My pal Felicity recently asked whether I was cooking for the  Christmas holiday. I shared my Christmas holiday meal plan with her:
 roasted beet and goat cheese dip 
 turducken roll
turnip greens
stuffing
 lemon pie
bonus: peanut butter fudge

She asked if I was having company for dinner. I replied that I wasn't.  I heard the pause before the next question was asked, "do you actually eat all the food?" Yes, I actually do - although not all in one setting.
For example, I cooked a small turkey breast (under 5 pounds) for Thanksgiving. This was sufficient meat for several days of meals. I then used the turkey carcass to make turkey broth. Some of the turkey broth was frozen for future use. Some of the turkey broth was used in the stuffing I made for Christmas dinner.

I also made butternut squash soup at Thanksgiving. After three days of consuming butternut squash soup I knew I'd better freeze the remaining soup to consume in the future. 

Felicity asked if I ever went out to dinner for a holiday meal.Yes, I have done this before. It can be fun to explore  a new venue or relax and savor a familiar spot. 

This year I opted to include four items in my menu that I had not prepared before: roasted beet and goat cheese dip, turducken, lemon pie, and peanut butter fudge. The remainder of this week  I'll share my experience with each of these menu items.

What was on your holiday menu? What was your favorite dish? Please share below.

Be well,
Technicolor girl


No comments:

Post a Comment